Saturday, September 6, 2008

New School Zones Released by APS

I couldn't find the new school zones last night, possibly because I was looking in the wrong place; I was checking the rezoning page, but this morning there's a link on the home page:

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/news/hottopics/Morningside-lin.pdf

with questions and answers here:

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/news/hottopics/FAQMorningside-lin.pdf

Because my youngest child is in 5th grade this year, and we live so close to Morningside Elementary, I have not been as anxious as others have been, but the new school zones are astonishing - the entire Virginia-Highlands neighborhood, south of Amsterdam Avenue, is going to the new school. I probably should have seen this coming, but I didn't. Morningside Elementary School, without our neighbors from Virginia Highlands? The new school will initially open with kindergarten through grade 4, so the kids who will be in 5th grade next year will not have to change to the new school.

There will be a Community meeting at Grady High School at 6 p.m. on September 18, and then it goes to the school board for a decision on October 6.

According to the materials APS has posted, if we were using these zones now, Morningside Elementary would be smaller by about 1/3, down to just over 600 students. (I started to say something about head lice but thought better of it.)

Stay tuned. I think things are about to get lively.

No comments: