Sunday, June 23, 2013

Something to Read

Iain is working on breaking in his new hiking boots, so this morning we headed off to Herbert Taylor Park.  He spotted it before I did, as we were walking down Cumberland toward North Highland, the Little Free Library at the intersection of Cumberland and Reeder.


Although I knew that there were some of these in the Atlanta area, this is the first one I'd seen, and it was a real treat to find it just a couple blocks from home.  Pop-up libraries are one of the ways people have re-purposed tiny bits of public space to better support neighborhoods and communities.  I don't know the story for how this particular pop-up library came to be in my neighborhood, but I was delighted to find it here.  

There are the books we keep (we have too many of those, in our house) and the books we read and then pass on to someone else or donate to Better World Books; we should go to the public library, but we don't, because it's too far to walk and it's not open on Sunday and book-buying is something we do for fun.  This morning I did look at the books in the box with the glass door and I didn't see anything I wanted to add to my already-too-tall pile of books I want to read.  But last weekend Iain cleaned out the large bookcase in his bedroom and right now we have two large boxes of books in our foyer, waiting to be passed on to someone with younger children.  So when we got back from our walk, I picked out a few and walked them up the street to add them to the collection.  

And the next time I'm walking by, I'll check again.  

No comments: