Tuesday, May 15, 2012

24 Hours in Morningside

Weekend before last weekend there was a lot going on in my neighborhood. On Friday night, the Morningside-Lenox Park Association sponsored music in Sidney Marcus Park. We were a little late getting dinner on the table, so by the time Tom and I walked up there, they were almost done. But it was nice seeing people out with their kids and their folding chairs and remains of their picnics. Looking around, Tom (who hardly ever goes anywhere that he doesn't know someone) commented that he didn't know anyone there. Of course, that's not surprising; our kids now being past the playground stage and on to the Facebook stage. But we did run into people we know, and ended up having some good conversations. We talked about (among other things) contemporary religion and the pace of social change with the Haygood pastor and teaching little kids to sail with a neighbor. A nice walk back home, enjoying the supersized moon.

Then on Saturday morning Tom and Iain headed off to Lake Allatoona for sailboat races so I was on my own for the day. I went to the Morningside Farmer's Market, where they were celebrating kale, although I am not sure why. I could have gotten a kale bumper sticker or a kale T-shirt. I didn't, but I did get lettuce and strawberries and Italian sausage.



Later on Saturday, Morningside Presbyterian's preschool was holding their spring festival. This year is the 10th anniversary of the preschool, and they had a carnival-type ride, hauled in on a trailer, and an inflatable for bouncing, and face painting. No kids home but I went anyway and saw several neighbors there, none of whom were actually accompanied by children; Lynsley and I got popsicles from King of Pops and then went over to saw hello to the firefighters from Station No. 19 that were showing kids the firetruck. There also was a man who was making massive bubbles by dipping a rope loop into a bucket of soapy water and then holding it up into the breeze. I got lunch there before heading back home.





All within an easy walk of my house. I love my neighborhood. And, by the way, the Italian sausage was spectacular.

No comments: