Monday, May 3, 2010

Why You Should Get to Know Your Neighbors

Our neighbor Mona moved to Vietnam last summer. We threw her a going away party, a potluck supper on Kathy's screened-in porch. Tom made ribs. So there's one reason right there to get to know your neighbors - if you move halfway around the world, we might throw you a party before you go.

Mona had turned her house over to a management company to rent out in her absence, and after a little while it did get rented. Three young women and a dog named Bosley moved in next door - although I met the human occupants a couple of times I never got the names-emails-phone numbers that nowdays constitute "knowing someone." Bosley's name I knew because Bosley's owner would call his name sometimes.

A few days ago Tom was talking to one of the young women who lived next door. Her name was Sara, and he got her last name and email address and phone number written down. I emailed her and asked if it was okay if I passed the information along to Lynsley, who actually keeps the Excel spreadsheet that is our Wessyngton Road directory. I hadn't heard back, yet, but added her to the distribution list I use to send out emails about car break ins and block parties.

This morning I woke up at 5 a.m. I got up to finish some work I hadn't gotten done yesterday. It was raining hard outside. I fed the dog, put on a pot of coffee, checked email quickly, and then let the dog out. When I opened the back door, someone was calling Bosley. It was later in the morning that I got Sara's email, that Bosley had gone outside at 2 a.m., without his collar which had been irritating his skin, and then the storm had started. She thought he got scared by the storm and had taken cover somewhere, but there was no sign of him, and she was frantic. Could I let the neighbors know? She sent a picture, too, that I could forward to help identify the missing dog:



So I forwarded the message, and 33 minutes later Lynsley responded that one of her neighbors had told her he had found a pug sniffing around the trash last night. Although he didn't have a collar on, he obviously was someone's pet, and he was safe with Lynsley's neighbor. Sara had him back soon thereafter.

We now have the names and email addresses and phone numbers for Sara's roommates. We are glad to have them as neighbors.


No comments: